Wednesday, May 22, 2013

It's been awhile

I know, it's been awhile since I posted.  I have no followers and was feeling like "why bother?"  But I kinda missed blogging, even if I am the only one reading it.

My horse show was rescheduled for May 11th.  I just took Poppy and did the highs at 3'6.  She was a superstar.  We had a rail in the speed class but of no fault to either one of us.  I really felt like she was tired.  But rails make her mad so she kicked it into gear and jumped her toosh off the rest of the course.  I just LOVE that mare.  She loves to jump and it is so fun to ride her.

Very tired Poppy after 2 classes on a hot day
 
Due to the rain and being busy it was about 2 weeks since I had been on Ketel.  I spent a few days last week lunging him.  He has gotten better at the trot but still bucks at the canter.  I feel like it is just him playing and also his annoyance with me popping the lunge whip to make him go.  I have to keep reminding myself that he is less than 3 months out of race training and just turned 3 so he this normal.  On Saturday I decided to change things up.  I changed his bit to the one I tried with Poppy.  It is a double jointed loose ring with a ball in the center.  I also put on the largest spurs I own.  I struggle to keep him going and move off my leg but have avoided using spurs because I worried it would make him grumpy or sour.  I took a friend's advice who had tons of experience breaking and training greenies (he's the one people are talking about when they say "send him to the cowboy") and put on the spurs.  Big surpise, Ketel moved off my leg and didn't  bat an eye.  He kicked out once at the canter.  It wasn't anything bad more like a "stop spuring me, I'll canter geez."  I rode him again on Monday and he is really improving on his balance and moving into a frame (almost).  He accepts contact willingly but without leaning on me.  We also practice some leg yielding which he did well at.
lunging last week


Grazing after our ride and a bath Saturday.  He is really starting to fill out
 
Next up I have a rated show next weekend.  I am going to take Tank and Poppy.  I really need to work on getting Tank into shape.  Although I have been riding him I haven't really been conditioning him or jumping much.  So that will be my focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment