Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Ogilvy Jumper Half Pad


I LOVE my new Ogilvy half pad however it did not fix the #1 thing I wanted it to.  Saddle slipping.

See the first item listed?  Nope, doesn't do it.  My saddle slips side to side on Poppy.  I use an anti slip pad that prevents this but I was hoping the new half pad would eliminate the need for it.  This means I probably need to look at saddles in the near future.  I love my Antares and it fits Luxxx perfectly but I have slipping (side to side) on Poppy if I don't use the anti-slip pad.  Why is the saddle slipping back and forth bad?  Try making a tight turn in the jumpers.  You and the saddle will slide ride down the side.  

So far this is my only complaint about the pad.  Although it is disappointing I still love it!  

Despite several people's recommendations not to order directly from Ogilvy I did it any way.  Unfortunately there aren't any tack stores here where I could order through so I took a chance.  I had no problems and it took 3 weeks from the time I ordered it for it to arrive.  That was an awesome surprise when I was expecting it to take 6-8 weeks!

18 comments:

  1. Still on the fence about these. I also have a slippy saddle (slips back) and I don't love hearing they don't fix that problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would borrow someone's. you have a different issue so it may fix that. Have you tried the rubber non slip pad? It's small and blue and works amazing!

      Delete
  2. sorry it didn't work out for you. i got one used from ebay and loved it too - but it didn't do the trick for my mare either... at least they hold their resale value!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE it! I have more than one horse to use if on. I will just have to use the non slip gel pad with Poppy. No way am I selling it!

      Delete
  3. The half pad I had no issue getting from them, it was my show pad :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh! I still read in the chronicle forums about ordering issues and bad customer service so I was leary

      Delete
  4. It helps with slipping back but nothing is going to make a saddle more stable from side to side except a breastplate and an anatomic girth. Have you tried either (or both) of those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used a non slip pad for the last 3 years and it solved the problem. It's inevitable that I need to look at new saddles for her.

      Delete
  5. I want one BUT can't justify it lol... Esp since I just ordered a customer Antares ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I justified by the fact my old pad needed to be retired :)
      I think I will get another Antares

      Delete
  6. I assumed the anti slip meant that the pad itself wouldn't move.
    Sorry that it isn't helping the specific area you got it for, but new saddle shopping could be fun. ;-)
    Love the colours you chose ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be. I needed a new pad anyway and helping the slipping would have been awesome.

      Delete
  7. 3 weeks? Damn, makes me want another one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I don't know if this is going to be helpful at all or not, but I bought an Ogilvy for similar reasons. On Miles, my saddle slipped back and at first the Ogilvy didn't help at all but once I exchanged my 1 1/4" for a 1" and broke it in [about a week or so], it now works PERFECTLY.

    I also had side to side slipping problems on my trainer's horse Vinnie. I started using a Professional's Choice girth that has the rubber on the inside and once my 1" Ogilvy was broken in, that fixed the slipping as well.

    Hope that helps!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worried that the 1 1/4 would be too think, that could be the issue. Maybe it will get better when it breaks in. The only thing that I have found to stop the side to side slipping is the rubber pad. The PC girth didn't help :( I'm ok with continuing to use the rubber slip pad but you are probably right about the 1" pad being better :/

      Delete
    2. Call Ogilvy! They sent me 1" foam memory pads for free when I told them about my problem (just the foam inserts, not a cover)

      Delete
  9. love the color combo that you picked!

    ReplyDelete