Thursday, January 15, 2015

10 Questions


1.  What size horse do you prefer to ride?

I am 5'7 so I prefer 16h and taller.  Poppy is barely 15.3 but is big bodied so you hardly notice she is small.  She's like driving a little sports car so I now have a soft spot for smaller horses.

2.  Do you school in tall boots or half chaps and paddock boots?

Half chaps and paddock boots.  When I needed new half chaps I really wavered on just using my tall boots all the time but I figured this would mean I would likely go through a pair of Parliantis once a year.  That's a big expense.  I also worried about keeping them looking nice for shows.  I really love my Huntley Equestrian half chaps and Dehner paddock boots so it's a good compromise from wearing my Parlanti's daily :)


3.  What do you do with your ribbons after shows?

Most of the time I don't pick them up.  If I do a ride for ribbons or my trainer gets them they go on the farm banner at the show and rarely make it home with me.  When my nieces and nephews found this out recently they were appalled.   now I try to remember to bring them home for them. I have a few special ones hanging in my kitchen though.  When the nieces and nephews come visit they snag one or two of those so they are dwindling.

4.  Do you ride/board at a large show barn or at a small private barn?

I have my own 5 stall barn.  I train with a large show barn who I've ridden with since 1998.  If they aren't going to a show that I want to attend I just find someone else to train me.  I'm pretty self sufficient but like to have someone go over the courses with me and keep me tuned since I don't take lessons.

5.  Have you ever seen a horse give birth?

No and I'm not sure I could stomach it.  Maybe I could peak between my fingers covering my face.




6.  What is your favorite breed?

The one with the most scope.

7.  Favorite tack brand?

I don't have just one.  I like my Antares saddle.  I like Walsh leather halters.  I like a custom bridle made by Tenney's Custom Saddlery.  There are others I'd like to try.  I would say just good quality higher end leather that has a price tag that doesn't make me have chest pains.

8.  Would you ever buy used tack?

Absolutely and I definitely have!

9.  Ever been on a carriage ride?

Nope.  And we have tons of them where I live.  I'm more interested in petting the ponies.

10.  How often do you go to the tack store?

Just when I need something.  I always go when I am at a show.  We don't have a good store here but I know someone who has a mobile tack store.  She is kind enough to open it up for me when I need something.

2 comments:

  1. i'm always so impressed at how self sufficient you are - esp with schooling at home! we're kinda opposites - i take a million lessons, but then show by myself (granted we do 2'-2'3" lol)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing this a long time, lots of lessons so it was a haul to get to this point. When issues arise I go
      Lesson and work at it. I show enough to get lessons in there and take stuff home to work on.

      Delete