Friday, January 16, 2015

Waterproof? Water Resistant?

Waterproof versus water resistant.  What does all that mean?  All of my horses' turnout sheets and blankets are water resistant.  If there is heavy rain they get soaked.  If they lay in a puddle, they get wet.  Poppy was due for a new turnout blanket.  I didn't want to spend a fortune but wanted something that is waterproof so if she should sleep on the wet ground in her paddock her blanket doesn't get damp (it's FL so everything is always wet, it rains ALOT here).

So here we have what I thought would be a nice blanket for a reasonable price that was waterproof.


Blanket came.  Fits Poppy perfectly, great quality, and I love it so much I was going to order one for Luxxx.  He doesn't need a new blanket but he always sleeps in puddle.  He likes to dig out a hole to sleep in and then whenever it rains it puddles in his sleeping hole.  So then his blanket gets wet.


I was even going to write a rave review.  Then after a bunch of rain this week Poppy's paddock was wet so she came in yesterday morning with a damp blanket.  I thought it was waterproof???

Educate me.  Is there such a thing as waterproof?  Is my definition of waterproof incorrect (you know, meaning that it won't get wet).


9 comments:

  1. Eeek I'm not sure! I thought turnout blankets were by their very nature waterproof/resistant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it wet on the inside? I always took waterproof to mean water stays on the outside (human or horse) jacket/blanket. And water resistant means if you run out in the rain real quick it won' go through the jacket, or if it's dewy out over night it shouldn't go through the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was damp on the inside but she was still dry. It wasn't so wet that I had to hang it out to dry like I have to do with Luxxx's

      Delete
  3. Waterproof doesn't mean that the blanket won't get wet, it means that it protects the horse from getting wet (and I've always had luck with my Horseware blankets doing just that). As long as the horse stays dry, the blanket is doing as advertised:) Water resistant is a little more temporary. In a drizzle or sprinkle the horse probably won't get wet underneath the blanket, but in anything heavier, they aren't much good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhh now that makes sense!! Poppy was dry and the blanket was just damp . Now Luxxx's which is water resistant vs proof gets soaked and so does he. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. i think so long as the horse stays dry everything is all good... but some blankets definitely fail at that too... (regardless of how they market it..)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mare explained it perfectly! Think of a raincoat you have -- if you stand inn the rain it will certainly get wet, but if it's a good one you will stay dry underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My understanding is the same as Mary, and I too have had great success with Horseware - Yay Irish!
    However I don't believe anything is ever 100% waterproof - if we are under a steady flow of water for an extended period of time. Even the supposedly impenetrable waterproofing will fail a little if not given time to evacuate some water somehow...know what i mean?

    ReplyDelete