Monday, December 30, 2013

30 Questions I Hijacked

Yup, Jumping on the bandwagon. But hey, it was a fun post! Viva Carlos 

1. If your horse could talk what would they say? What would they be like? 
Well we know Poppy is the diva so she would probably tell me that she needs to be more spoiled and that I should stop riding like crap and just let her take care of it and we would win more.  Tank would just asked to be loved more.  More riding, more pampering, more treats.  Anytime he was naughty I think he would shreak and say the voices in his head made him do it.  Seriously.  I think he hears voices.  Or maybe sees dead people.  If he could talk I'd ask him about it.  I have no idea what Ketel would say.  He is so curious I would imagine, "what's that?  And that?"  He has to investigate everything.  Cotton would ask for more food and Hobbs would probably ask to be left alone.  I think he would tell me he did his time as a show pony and just wants to be a horse.

2: If you were a horse, what would you look like (color, markings, etc), what discipline would you do, and what would you be like to ride?
I would probably be a pain in the ass.  I am a picky eater, I hate dirt and mud, and I can't stand to be wet or cold.  Maybe I'd have a sense of humor now and then and throw in some quirky behavior.  Of course I would be a jumper.  Not sure what color, but probably a refined little Warmblood.

3. How many barns have you ridden at?
I'm not positive but I would say somewhere around 10.  Between starting riding in MD, moving to Austin and riding there, moving back to MD, going to college in Gainesville, moving to Jacksonville, then building my own barn I have been quite a few places.  The barn I train with now I started at as a boarder until we built our place and I have ridden with them since 1998.

5. Can you braid a horses mane? Tail?
Yes.  I have not done either in many, many years so although I remember how it probably would look awful.  I do want to learn how to do jumper braids!


6. Do you believe that you have to fall off in order to be a good rider?
If you have ridden for long enough and have challenged yourself, you fall off.  It is inevitable.  I can't imagine a good rider NOT having fallen off.  It happens.

7. What do you think is more important: eq or effective riding?
I know riders who ride pretty but put them on a tough horse and they couldn't get the job done.  I also know riders who are not pretty riders but could get a cow over a grand prix course.  The best riders are both.  Watch Maclain Ward.

8. Are there any “horse couples” at your barn?
Since I am my barn I can't really answer that.  I don't think there are any at my trainer's barn either though.

9. Favorite treat to feed your horse?
All of mine get carrots daily but they all LOVE peppermints and grapes.  Poppy and Ketel like Twizzlers.  Tank loves bread.  He loves a hamburger bun or bagel.

11. Strangest thing you’ve fed your horse.
I used to have a mare that loved banana peels.

12. Have you ever made any horse friends through the internet?
Absolutely.  I could talk about horses 24/7 so to find others who are the same way is awesome.

13. Would you buy horse furniture?
I would but I am pretty sure my husband would ban that quickly.  He would say he is submerged in horses enough.

14. Funniest horsey moment
Last year about this time I went to my trainer's to lesson on Poppy.  She had the jumps set pretty big 3'9-4'.  I was going into a one stride and Poppy overjumped the first oxer so big that she landed just about on the second jump.  She panicked and dove left to keep from crashing and I flew into the vertical.  I landed upside down hanging from the jump cup by my breeches.  N had to come help me get down.  I didn't have a scratch on me so it was funny however Poppy was scared of in and outs for a long time after that.

15. Post a picture of your horse (or any horse) making a silly face that you got on camera!
Ok does silly dog count?



16. What’s a moment with horses that you wished you caught on camera?
A video of #14 would have been epic.

18. How old was the oldest horse you’ve met?
My trainer had a lesson horse that was in her mid 30s.  She passed away last year.

19. Opinion on colorful tack? (like red or blue)
Please no.  No colored tack or colorful polos.  You can use basic colored saddle pads for schooling at home.  That's it.

20. Have you ever tried horse treats? Hay?
Nope.  I'm a fairly picky eater.

21. Have you ever felt like giving up on a horse?

Sure we have all felt like it, but as of yet I never have.

22. Tell the story about the horse that you first felt “click” immediately with you (and if you can’t remember, most recent)

The first time I rode Hobbs we clicked.  I was not even horse shopping but knew I had to have him.  He was the most fun horse I had ever ridden.  On him I felt like I could jump anything.

It was different with Poppy because she was so green but still from the first time I sat on her I had to have her.  There was just something...When I had her on trial I took her to my trainer's barn to see what they thought.  Both N and K told me to pass on her.  I followed my instincts and bought her anyway and am so glad I did.

23. Ever ridden side-saddle? How was it?

Nope.

24. Most interesting place you’ve ridden at

When I competed in the IHSA eons ago, I qualified individually for Nationals which were held in Burbank, CA.  I thought it was pretty cool to fly out there to compete.

25. What kind of horse do you like? (sport, stock, endurance, etc)

Sport

26. Do you feel like you have more patience with horses than people?

Absolutely.

27. Is the horse you ride very vocal?

Yes. Tank, Poppy, and Ketel are all vocal.  Poppy has whinny that is high pitched and sounds like a pony.  It's adorb.  When she is not getting the attention she wants she will bang on her stall door.  Ketel was quiet when I got him but now has picked up Tank's whinny.  I'm not sure I could even tell them apart.  They all only really get vocal at feeding time.

28. Ever ridden in the sunset?

Unfortunately once the time changes in the fall this is how I ride Monday through Friday.

29. How do you like a horse’s mane? roached, pulled, long, etc.

Pulled.  I ride in the jumpers so I like them a little longer, pulled, and neatly trimmed.

30. What is your dream name for a horse?

It's a secret.  I've had people steal names that I've shared so I have learned that lesson.  I'm saving this one for my next big jumper.

No comments:

Post a Comment